Distance on a grid tied system

Isn't it true the further my array is, the thicker the wire feed to the inverter, grid tied box, etc? And isn't it considerably thicker by distance? I ask because there really isn't an area near my electric service where I could install a grid. Opinions? Thanks!

This topic was edited
RE: Distance on a grid tied system

Don't know if you ever got a reply on this question. Line losses are a big deal with direct current, but less so with alternating current unless your inverter or other AC power source is a LONG WAY from the loads. With the dc power from your panels to the inverter, any significant distance is a real issue, as it takes a pretty hefty conductor to handle the amp load in long runs. Let me know if you still are pursuing this and need any info.

This post was edited
RE: Distance on a grid tied system

Don't know if you ever got a reply on this question. Line losses are a big deal with direct current, but less so with alternating current unless your inverter or other AC power source is a LONG WAY from the loads. With the dc power from your panels to the inverter, any significant distance is a real issue, as it takes a pretty hefty conductor to handle the amp load in long runs. Let me know if you still are pursuing this and need any info.Thanks. Sounds like micro-inverters at the panels may be a solution then, converting to AC before sending it any distance. As soon as we complete building our shop/RV garage we're planning on pursuing this further.

This post was edited