RE: The Constitution of the United States

Bruce, apologies for the long reply, but I tried to touch on a few different things mentioned in earlier posts.
Article I is one that a lot of folks miss. BTW, I think I accidentally put Article II, instead of Article I.
The UN in itself would have to be a thread. I'm just also very wary of the amount of power the UN is given, and the motives behind those involved, regardless of nationality. There's also this thing with entangling alliances, but again, something for a whole thread.
I'll look more into the burning water thing. Regulations are alright, but also to an extent. I feel that there should be certain regulations in place, but many people I've come across have the "so what?" attitude toward the environment when it comes to regulations that would help to look after the environment. At the same time, yes, there should be more cooperation, as I don't like over-regulation. For some things, I do feel that there should be more studies done to ensure safety. Not all corporations are evil, but companies are primarily for profit. I've seen firsthand some lengths some companies go through just to make a buck, even at the expense of employees (and in some cases, patients), and this sickens me. It makes me wonder what some folks will do, so I know that there must be some restraint.
The "blue collar" thing was the point I was trying to get across in the first post. I just found it funny how one says that they are "blue collar", but at the same time it seems that there's inference of some sort of control. Absolutely, whistle-blower protections should be in place, but whether or not they are followed...someone is sure to find some reason to justify termination or reprimand.
The two parties can shift on the spectrum, but nowadays we are seeing a clear division of left/right with little compromise. A few years, usually, but the damage can be severe. The only power the People have is in voting, but that can easily slip away once an office is held. Being a republic, our will is only through those who represent us, and it's up to them to do the job, or at least the next guy will at a later time. The media is biased depending on outlet, and is helping to further create a left/right divide as well. Fox brings balance only by showing favor for one side, while CNN can balance that out with the other side of the spectrum.

This post was edited

The President can make treaties (Article II, Section 2), and with two-thirds of the Senate present for approval. Two thirds of both Houses would have to approve Amendments to the Constitution. I don't really see a treaty as being an Amendment to our Constitution, and surely some things I've read about lately regarding the UN wouldn't be tolerated, at least not for long. For one, our 2nd Amendment is a very important one, but I wouldn't count on it being thrown out just yet. I would hope that the People (as well as our govt) would understand that it was put there for a reason. The govt may or may not provide some relief from the "terrorists" abroad, but how are we to protect ourselves from those here and in office? Again, that would be for a UN thread, since there's some speculation going on. I'm also afraid that the People are becoming apathetic and distracted by entertainment.

This post was edited

One example of EPA over-reach is here in PA, where the state regulations eliminate leaf-burning. One can burn yard waste if the property qualifies as Agricultural. But I live among the farms, we garden, and have a lot of tree litter & weeds that we used to burn then turn the (clean) ashes into the ground. Mulching weeds creates a nursery for trillions more weeds so that is not an option. I understand burn limits within boro limits, and during droughts, etc. But we can't burn out here-allegedly for environmental reasons. So, it gets dumped in a pile in the corner of the farm-we're lucky the farmer lets us do it. Or for most-it gets packaged into manufactured bags and shipped off in diesel burning trucks. Who is being more environmentally conscious?
Are we talking federal or local regulations? I thought this was an issue decided by state and local govts. Some places here in NC vary as far as burning yard wastes in city/county limits. I agree that the ashes are actually good for the soil to prepare it, but if you are not in city limits, I don't see the big deal with burning outside them on a farm. It's not like your entire yard is set ablaze. Hmm...Environmentally, and health-wise, I'd say that burning the agro stuff for ashes to use in soil isn't that big of a deal. If the smoke is the problem, ask about the firebreaks and controlled burns if applicable. There are some places in GA, NC, and SC that I've been to with control burns and it can get pretty nasty for a few miles.

This post was edited

It is amazing to me how many people are so out of tune with issues of the day. So many cannot identify the Vice President, or Boehner, or Pelosi.Sometimes, I think it's sad that we do not get more voters to the polls more consistently, but then I see how people decide their votes and think that it's a good thing. One shouldn't vote unless one is reasonably informed on the issues and understands the consequences. (Watch-that quote is gonna get some serious attention!)Obama is a perfect example. Look at his election-it was all about Hope and Change. But there was no substance to his campaign; just a shallow, vague sales pitch full of words whose meanings were easily interpreted in different ways.
Frankly, they're more in tune with issues that I'd deem trivial. There are many who don't even know which states go where, so not identifying VP, or Speaker of the House doesn't surprise me. They are all sales pitches as far as I'm concerned. I didn't see much substance, and I'm not convinced of Romney, either. But...time will tell, I guess. I'm just going to brace for the ride.

This post was edited

Maybe there would be a better idea, for better or worse, if you guys had proportional representation and compulsory voting.
Compulsory, given the current state of American education and lack of interest in anything other than the Kardashians, is kinda scary....

This post was edited

Are we talking federal or local regulations? I thought this was an issue decided by state and local govts. Some places here in NC vary as far as burning yard wastes in city/county limits. I agree that the ashes are actually good for the soil to prepare it, but if you are not in city limits, I don't see the big deal with burning outside them on a farm. It's not like your entire yard is set ablaze. Hmm...Environmentally, and health-wise, I'd say that burning the agro stuff for ashes to use in soil isn't that big of a deal. If the smoke is the problem, ask about the firebreaks and controlled burns if applicable. There are some places in GA, NC, and SC that I've been to with control burns and it can get pretty nasty for a few miles.No-this, I believe is state; although it may be tied to federal subsidies. But the point is still valid-unreasonable regulation.
I'm talking about us burning weeds, leaves & small branches in a 55 gallon drum on a Sunday. We have over an acre, and neighbors on 2 sides-we overlook a 300 acre farm in the back.
Agreed. Yeah, I don't personally see an issue with doing that. I can see keeping it low, but...I live in the county and it's pretty common fr people to burn yard waste. It doesn't really become that big of an issue, and everyone isn't doing it on the same day. IDK...maybe the farm could use mulch, and I don't really see an acre as producing a lot of waste.

This post was edited

Maybe there would be a better idea, for better or worse, if you guys had proportional representation and compulsory voting.
Compulsory, given the current state of American education and lack of interest in anything other than the Kardashians, is kinda scary....
Yes, we're better off if the uninformed just stay at home, swallow their bon-bons and watch reruns of the Jersey Shore. Let the dedicated and informed protect the rights of the idiots & the lazy.
But then again...Everyone's got an opinion on how this country should be run...Most of those getting the attention are just the overzealous and village idiots, though. The biggest problem we are facing is a lack of compromise, and honestly, I thank those who turn every single issue into a left/right issue. It pits people against each other, and calling people such things as "Libtard" or "Conservaturd" (whatever those are) surely doesn't help. It's usually not "what" people say that creates problems, but "how" they say it. There's too much polarization, even among those capable of thinking (at least somewhat).

This post was edited

@ dj:"Compulsory, given the current state of American education and lack of interest in anything other than the Kardashians, is kinda scary...."So rather than ignoring the ignorance and using it as an excuse you do something about it. You teach what it means to be a citizen and encourage an interest in the way the country is run. Rather than leaving the corporations to tell the people what to think.
Not really ignoring it, or using it as an excuse.. If compulsory, you are looking at masses of people doing pretty much the same thing they do when required to go to school, they show up because they have to. Our society has a horrible problem with entertainment being the number one priority. We are looking at cuts to education, with increasing class sizes and cuts in teachers. This place somehow glorifies being ignorant, and it drives me nuts. No matter how much I try to teach someone something, it slips away, and it's back to the television. I try, but it'll take a whole lot more people. In order for those people to learn, they have to take some initiative. Let's look at it like the problem we have with people not wanting to work and live off the govt: There are those who truly need assistance and are trying, and then there are those who do not care, no matter what. Those who try find it easier when they just give up, since assistance is more quickly given to those who try. Here, ignorance is often seen as the easier way out. I want to knock the teeth out of every person I meet that says, "Why should I care?", or "I don't even wanna know nothin' about that." Why not care? Well, because the govt here is constantly coming up with new rules, and it doesn't seem to matter. There's this sentiment of, "If it don't affect me, then why should I care?" Well, it will have some effect on you eventually, or it may be too late when you care. This is hard to get across to people who think only of television, games, and a load of other crap that people want to buy and most of the time can't afford.

This post was edited

@ dj-Why do you think they don't care? For whatever reason you educate people and you stop blaming them for being uninformed or apathetic.There are countries where there is compulsory voting. Have they fallen apart because of it?
To make them vote would at least make them care somewhat, but most here honestly don't care to get into issues. That may be, but for how long, and which countries? Like I said, this one has its priorities backwards. Mostly entertainment and material stuff. Even if not forced, the blame would lie with the individual, since they have a choice. They, as adults who should learn to function in a society, must make the decision to care about the issues affecting them.

This post was edited

It's more of the same profane, angry, bitter rants that make no sense. You will get used to it if you stick around.

This post was edited