Cold Weather RV Trips

How many RVers have taken road trips in winter -- apart from the obvious mad dash down south to escape the "cold and dreary and ice and snow" of the upper latitudes? We're talking about traveling in the cold -- on purpose!

Not us. That's for sure! Well, except for a few times.

Back in Jan of '08, my ex-wife and I took delivery of a used motorhome I bought on e-Bay. The issue was to get to Denver (Longmont) and bring the thing back home to Sarasota. It was a most memorable time. Frankly, it was not the season to be nude, but given that the automotive heater was sufficient to warm the whole coach, we did indeed drive (ride) fully naked one day -- just to say we did.

The trip was fun. We drove to Phoenix (Chandler) via I-70 over the Rockies, camping in Moab for a night. By the time we got to Phoenix (yes, thank you Glen Campbell) the weather was temperate and we de-winterized the plumbing for the journey east on I-10.

The highlights of driving -- in addition to the breathtaking snow-capped scenery -- was doing a few controlled, slow-speed "fish tails" on frozen snow and ice in a 37' motorhome. Lol. Also, driving thru Monument Valley on an inch of slush. In fact, I was taking many pix on my handy Kodak digital camera, and one shot in particular was taken of the long, long 2-lane road as we went over the crest. I did not know it at the time, but studying the photo later, it turned out to be the spot where Forrest Gump quit his run across America.

Other cold weather trips -- late Oct thru end of Nov -- were in Missouri, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee. Love those autumn leaves.

One valuable discovery in particular: It's far easier to boondock in chilly weather. A/C in hot/humid summertime is more of a problem than heating in winter. That said, we do miss the social nudity in winter, because nudist resorts are mostly closed. :(

Maybe the thing to do is to take lots of nudies with you -- say, 4 couples/4 rigs caravanning by day and partying after hours?

Cheers!
Derek & Sharon

This topic was edited
RE:Cold Weather RV Trips

We like caravaning , its like a free range nudist resort....lol..but dont forget to tie up your camel. Dropping down along the front range south of Denver is some beautiful scenery we enjoyed the ride on I-10 as well. The RV Park at Fish Nature Camp is now open on weekends.

This post was edited