RE: Bored with your own cooking?

Ummm....Tx? Recipe sounds interesting but you should have seen the look on the face my local grocery butcher when I asked him (totally dead pan) for a pound of rattle snake, lol. Have to admit, even being a native Texan myself, I've never tried rattle snake. Think I put it right up there with "road kill" Chilli! Cottontail - my go to spices are salt, pepper, garlic as well. k...was desperately searching for my mom's famous potato soup recipe, can't find it. All I remember is that it begins: First you take a leek...(lol, she has the BEST sense of humor!) But found this one instead which is another old favorite of mine and the "veggie only's" will like it too! Cold Sesame Noodles 1 Tbs minced fresh garlic 3/4 cup Tahini (sesame paste) 1 cup black tea 5 Tbs Tamari (soy sauce) 5 tsp chili oil (or to taste - very spicy) 3 Tbs sesame oil 2 Tbs sugar 2 Tbs red wine vinegar 1/2 cup chopped scallions (green onions) 1/2 cup shredded cucumbers 1 lb fresh lowmein noodles Boil low mein noodles until slightly tender w/1 Tbs sesame oil (just slightly past al dente) In seperate bowl mix all other ingredients. Pour over cooked noodles and mix well. Jen If vegetarians only eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
Jen, you made me think of my recipie for red line stew.
When you go into town, bring can of red spray paint with you. Put a red line on any road kill. On way back, any without red line is fresh, bring it home, skin it, and throw into pot with some veggies. LOL

This post was edited
brave with spices

I luv cooking and even tho i dont eat real super spicy food, i luv the flavors of all spices. i take a week off in dec. and cook 7 days straight for 10 -12 guests each nite. with a diff theme and setting for each of them. Last year i did 9 diff caujan dishes. Guess with over 70 diff spices, i like to combine to create wonderful flavors with dishes. And even if there is only two of us here, i try to garnish and present a nice plated dinner. It should be a fun event, not just for when you have guests.

This post was edited
RE: Favorite Recipes

DR. PEPPER CAKE

1 cup butter
1 cup Dr Pepper
2 eggs
cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
4 T cocoa
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar

Heat butter and Dr Pepper, until butter melts.
Add cocoa, cinnamon, flour, and sugar to butter mixture.
Mix eggs, buttermilk, soda and vanilla, and then stir into rest of mixture..
Pour into pan, bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Frosting: heat cup butter, 3T cocoa, and cup Dr. Pepper. Stir 1 box powdered sugar. Frost cake. Top with chopped nuts if desired.

Notes: I used 2 sticks margarine once and 1 butter and 1 margarine once, and it got eaten up just as quickly both times. I heated Dr Pepper with butter in microwave dish. . I used Bundt pan once and flat sheet 9x12 once. It calls for 8 or 9 inch pans. I also just made the recipe frosting for the sheet cake and bundt.

This post was edited

Butter parsley potatos

5 pounds of potatos
1 pound of butter
parsley, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and black pepper to taste.

Peel and slice potatos and boil. When tender, drain and stir in remaining ingredients. Serves 30

This post was edited
Favorite Recipes

Here's a hint on how to spice up a really bland dish to something that is very tasty. Add Dry Mustard. Works on just about anything, meats, fish, vegetables. Start with a dash and increase to taste. You might add 1/8th to 1/4th teaspoon.

This post was edited

Just tried this one on the BBQ....yum!

Cedar Planked Garlic Shrimp with Asiago Gratin
Ingredients:
* 10-12 colossal raw shrimp (or 20 large)
* One lemon, sliced thinly
* One small wedge of lemon
* 2 tbs (30 ml) olive oil
* 2 3 cloves chopped garlic
* tsp (2 ml) pepper flakes
* tsp (2 ml) fresh ground pepper
* 2 tbs (30 ml) melted butter
* cup (65 ml) chopped fresh parsley
* cup (65 ml) grated asiago cheese
* cup (65 ml) fine bread crumbs
Directions:
* Shell and thoroughly rinse shrimp, leaving tails on. Pat dry
* Preheat lemon lined cedar plank indirectly at 400F (200C) for 5 minutes
* Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium heat
* Add garlic, red pepper, and ground pepper to olive oil. Saut 30 seconds
* Add butter, chopped parsley and shrimp. Cook for 3 minutes
* Add the asiago cheese and all the bread crumbs to the pan and toss to coat
* Immediately pour the mixture onto the preheated lemon lined cedar plank
* Sprinkle the remaining asiago cheese over the shrimp mixture
* Cook indirectly with lid closed for (approximately) 10-15 minutes at 400F (200C)
* To serve: squeeze a small wedge of lemon over surface if desired

This post was edited

Just tried this one on the BBQ....yum!Cedar Planked Garlic Shrimp with Asiago GratinIngredients: * 10-12 colossal raw shrimp (or 20 large) * One lemon, sliced thinly * One small wedge of lemon * 2 tbs (30 ml) olive oil * 2 3 cloves chopped garlic * tsp (2 ml) pepper flakes * tsp (2 ml) fresh ground pepper * 2 tbs (30 ml) melted butter * cup (65 ml) chopped fresh parsley * cup (65 ml) grated asiago cheese * cup (65 ml) fine bread crumbsDirections: * Shell and thoroughly rinse shrimp, leaving tails on. Pat dry * Preheat lemon lined cedar plank indirectly at 400F (200C) for 5 minutes * Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium heat * Add garlic, red pepper, and ground pepper to olive oil. Saut 30 seconds * Add butter, chopped parsley and shrimp. Cook for 3 minutes * Add the asiago cheese and all the bread crumbs to the pan and toss to coat * Immediately pour the mixture onto the preheated lemon lined cedar plank * Sprinkle the remaining asiago cheese over the shrimp mixture * Cook indirectly with lid closed for (approximately) 10-15 minutes at 400F (200C) * To serve: squeeze a small wedge of lemon over surface if desired

If you have any leftover, can you please email me some? ;)
We went out last night to Bonefish Grill for coconut shrimp. That's the easiest way to get one of my fav dishes. LOL However, on the way home, we stopped at the market. Hormel makes refrigerated entre' such as Beef Roast Aus Ju that heats in the microwave in 4 minutes, just add sides. They were on sale. LOL

This post was edited

Peanut Noodle Salad 1 pound spaghetti Salt 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter 5 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce 2 tablespoons rice vinegar 2 tablespoons light brown sugar 1 tablespoon grated or minced fresh ginger 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 teaspoon hot sauce 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and sliced thin 2 carrots, peeled and shredded 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced thing 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro 1) Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the pasta and 1 tablesppon of salt and cook, stirring often, until tender. Reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta in a colander and rinse with cold water until cool Drain the pasta well and transfer to a large bowl. Add the sesame oil and toss to coat. 2) Whisk the peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, ginger, garlic, and hot sauce together in a bowl until smooth. 3) Add the peanut butter dressing, bell peppers, carrots, cucumber and cilantro to the pasta and toss to combine, adjustin gthe sauce consistency with the reserved cooking water as desired. Season with the salt to tate and serve. **You could add shredded chicken or pork for a more hearty meal.**

Great recipe! Very similar to the Sesame Noodle recipe I posted, pg 1 post #11.

Yours uses fresh ginger which I love. Think I'll take the best of both recipes and see how that comes out. Thanks for sharing!

Jen

This post was edited

This salad goes great with anything off the grill and will hold for a couple of days as leftovers.......not to mention easy
Israeli Tomato Salad
Toss 1 cup each diced cucumber, tomato, green bell pepper and scallions with 3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill, 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, the juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 cup olive oil in a large bowl.

This post was edited

Is one of the groups a cooking or a recipe sharing group? We are new to TN but love cooking and especially trying new foods and recipies. We do have a few interesting ones to share.

This post was edited