Favorite Recipes

I've found myself in a cooking rut. Doesn't matter what I make it is beginning to all taste the same to me. Do you find yourself having a few favorite spices/herbs to use - all ways at hand and they end up in EVERY single dish you make? Or do you have a favorite recipe to share? I've exchanged a few recipes with a friend on here already and it's been great fun (Thanks Jerry!).

Hoping to "spice" up my menu with a few more ideas...

So, please tell us, what are you making for dinner tonight?

Jen

This topic was edited
RE: Bored with your own cooking?

Mrs. Cottontail does almost all the cooking in the house, so I never have a chance to get bored with my own cooking. That said, my "go-to" ingredients are the simple ones. Salt, pepper, garlic. Depends on what I'm cooking. Tell you what: You tell me what you feel like having, and I'll give you MY recipe to try out.

This post was edited

I also tend to use a lot of the same spices, but it does change depending on the type of food. I am starting to type up some of my favories at the request of a friend and will add some here later.
Thomas

This post was edited

Since work shorter hours than my wife, I do almost all our cooking and I do get bored and in a rut from time to time, especially with the veggies. I find something that works, and just keep doing it over and over. Time for a change now.
If you haven't tried roasting your veggies with a little olive oil and salt and pepper, you might enjoy that for a change.

Oh, and for dinner I think I'm going to do something with a small pork loin. Not sure if I'll smoke it outside or something in the oven.

This post was edited

Here is a recipe that is definately not boring. If anyone would like some of my recipes with more common ingrediants, let me know.
Thomas

DEEP-FRIED RATTLESNAKE
1 medium-sized rattlesnake (3-4 lbs.), cut into steaks
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup cracker crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
Mix dry ingredients. Whisk milk into beaten egg and use to dip snake steaks.
Then coat them with dry ingredients. Fry, uncovered, in 400 degree oil until brown.

Yum,Yum!!!!!!!!

This post was edited

What are herbs? .....hehe. .......and Tom, did you just say RATTLESNAKE!!!! .....Yuk! . .......

anyway, .....don't think the Pet Shop's got one!

Ooops! .....sorry :(

Phil.

sorry, I'm a bit ecstatic at the mo, just took me 14 hrs to get it booted up!

Thought it was a GONNA!!!!

EDIT:

here's a few links to the other Recipe Threads.

Homemade Laundry Soap (don't eat this :)

Naked Lemon Cookies

Mexican Rhubarb Chocolate Chunk Brownies

This post was edited

Wall E and Phil, yes I did mean rattlesnake. It is very good. If you have eaten frog or alligator, the taste is similar, but no they do not taste like chicken LOL
I do not make fish soup, but for cold weather, especially if you are feeling bad, nothing beats some good chicken soup. Here is my recipe.

Homemade Chicken Noodle soup

2 pounds fryer leg quarters 4-6 oz egg noodles
Seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, celery powder, celery flakes, and parsley flakes to taste.

Cut up leg quarters and remove excess fat. Simmer in 5 quart pot with seasonings except for the celery and parsley flakes till chicken is tender and pulling away from the bone. Remove chicken from broth and skim excess far from broth if needed. De bone the chicken and cut into small pieces. Add the chicken back to broth along with celery and parsley flakes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add noodles and cook another five minutes till tender.

Homemade Chicken Rice soup

Follow recipe above but substitute 1 to 1 cups of rice for the noodles. I also add a can of English peas or green beans including liquid for variety.

This post was edited

Thanks Tom, I'm sure it's great and be a welcome gift for a lot on here,

but I think I'll stick with me lettuce leaves, .....

I know how to cook that! :)

Phil.

This post was edited

I saw a recipe for Mu Shu pork with noodles on Rachel Ray this afternoon while I was working out on the elliptical machine that I'm starting in just a minute.
Hope it turns out as good as it looked on TV!

This post was edited

Ummm....Tx? Recipe sounds interesting but you should have seen the
look on the face my local grocery butcher when I asked him (totally
dead pan) for a pound of rattle snake, lol. Have to admit, even being
a native Texan myself, I've never tried rattle snake. Think I put it
right up there with "road kill" Chilli!

Cottontail - my go to spices are salt, pepper, garlic as well.

k...was desperately searching for my mom's famous potato soup recipe, can't find it. All I remember is that it begins: First you take a leek...(lol, she has the BEST sense of humor!) But found this one instead which is another old favorite of mine and the "veggie only's" will like it too!

Cold Sesame Noodles
1 Tbs minced fresh garlic
3/4 cup Tahini (sesame paste)
1 cup black tea
5 Tbs Tamari (soy sauce)
5 tsp chili oil (or to taste - very spicy)
3 Tbs sesame oil
2 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs red wine vinegar
1/2 cup chopped scallions (green onions)
1/2 cup shredded cucumbers
1 lb fresh lowmein noodles

Boil low mein noodles until slightly tender w/1 Tbs sesame oil (just slightly past al dente)
In seperate bowl mix all other ingredients. Pour over cooked noodles and mix well.

Jen

If vegetarians only eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

This post was edited

I (Mr.) do most of the cooking because I'm retired and my wife works full time. I enjoy cooking and am amply rewarded for providing decent meals most of the time. Bored with my (our) own cooking? I can't say that we are. We have a variety of meals ranging from pasta to steaks. My wife makes a killer home-made spagheti sauce. I developed a chili recipe years ago that we love and all the neighbors rave about. I have a smoker on which I cook turkeys, Boston butt, ribs, chicken and fish several times a year. Most weekends, I grill steaks on my gas grill and cook brats, keibasa, baked potatoes, corn-on-the-cob and whatever else comes to mind. For occasional variety, we'll prepare kabobs with beef, chicken or shrimp and veggies to toss on the grill. I've got some great roast beef options and my wife loves it when I whack up some fresh mushrooms and prepare them with a red wine and garlic sauce.Hungry now??? Anyway, back to the boredom part. Again, I can't way we're bored, but we enjoy going out to eat because it means someone else is doing the cooking and, more importantly, the clean-up!!!

Hey, what time is dinner? I'll be right over! Wearing my favorite outfit - a smile! LOL

Jen

This post was edited