RE: Virginia nudity laws

Where is Texas beach? I have heard it is along the James but that's is it. What type of crowd is it? are they not nudists?Texas Beach is on the north side of the James with in the city limits. If you drive across the "nickel" bridge going from north side to south side its over your left shoulder below Maymont, tucked away . Locate Texas Street within the city and you will find the entrance to the park. Its a long hoof, but well worth it. When the weather becomes warmer and anyone has time during the week..let me know and we can meet there.

This post was edited

Since my wife is not supportive, White Tail is out of the question; so that leaves me with nada!
I've been thinking that with all the emphasis on equal rights for alternate lifestyles, naturists/nudists ought to have a case for at least a nude beach or clothing optional facilities at State Parks or National Parks. I guess it would take someone to challenge the current laws as being discriminatory toward the nudist lifestyle.

This post was edited

Hi MarlinS. Just curious, why is Whitetail out of the question? Your wife supports you going to nude parks and beaches, but not resorts?

This post was edited

White tail has a policy that both spouses must attend if you are married. At least that was what I was told when I tried to attend solo.

This post was edited

The state nudity laws in Virginia areterrible,
What makes you say that? VA actually has a pretty good indecent
exposure law - it requires sexual intent. There are numerous court
rulings on the books where sexual/prurient intent is noted as being
required, and charges get dropped because of the lack of that
component.There was a case a few years back in Fredericksburg
where a guy was walking down the street naked but the judge ruled
there was no law broken. The locality quickly passed their own
anti-nudity ordinance making mere nudity illegal.
So the situation is that the State law is good, but localities can
pass their own stricter laws outlawing mere nudity - and that has
been done in several places, including Virginia Beach.

This post was edited

With the law that loosely defined, I'm nervous to shower naked withdrawn blinds, much less mention step outdoors au naturel.There are numerous cases on the books where a strong sexual/prurient intent was not part of the nudity in question and the case got dropped.
The problem is localities can have their own indecent exposure laws and you need to know the details of them, too.
The fact that mere nudity is legal in VA just shows there's not many people who are really into going naked - or they are ignorant of the law. Or there are small patches of people going naked all over the place and they just don't advertise the fact.

This post was edited

White tail has a policy that both spouses must attend if you are married. At least that was what I was told when I tried to attend solo.Never knew that. Pretty sure I've seen married men and women alone there. I'll be doing massage there this weekend and will verify this unless someone here has the answer.

This post was edited

The state nudity laws in Virginia areterrible,
What makes you say that? VA actually has a pretty good indecent
exposure law - it requires sexual intent. There are numerous court
rulings on the books where sexual/prurient intent is noted as being
required, and charges get dropped because of the lack of that
component.There was a case a few years back in Fredericksburg
where a guy was walking down the street naked but the judge ruled
there was no law broken. The locality quickly passed their own
anti-nudity ordinance making mere nudity illegal.
So the situation is that the State law is good, but localities can
pass their own stricter laws outlawing mere nudity - and that has
been done in several places, including Virginia Beach.

Because of the Dillon Rule localities can't simply pass their own laws. All of the local laws have to be approved by the General Assembly. That being said, I'm sure if there are restrictions on nudity in Virginia Beach - or wherever - the General Assembly would just OK them at this point. If nobody asks for it to be different then it will never change. Hence why I am trying to get some interest in promoting a clothes free recreation area that's not a private property (i.e., can be used by all people without paying large fees).

This post was edited

For me that was probably 10 years or more ago, the policy could easily have changed. That would simply fit what happened to him, just a possibility.

This post was edited

Because of the Dillon Rule localities can't simply pass their own laws. All of the local laws have to be approved by the General Assembly.Interesting. I was not aware of that. I do know that Fredericksburg passed an ordinance making simple nudity illegal. The brief reading I did on the Dillon Rule made it seem there are some things that fall under it, some things that don't, and exactly what those are is fuzzy.

This post was edited